Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Priestly Prayer


A Priestly Reminder



There is a prayer I say from time to time when I feel a need for a spiritual "jolt".

Today when the bishop visited, I could not help but remember my own Confirmation, Ordination and then of course when I was "Installed" as Rector of my several congregations though out these forty plus years.

At the "Celebration of a New Ministry" this prayer is recited by the new priest. I have always loved this prayer and share it with you now. Clearly we are all "ordained" to care alike for all those entrusted to our care.

The new Minister, if a priest, may then kneel in the midst of the
church, and may say

O Lord my God, I am not worthy to have you come under
my roof; yet you have called your servant to stand in your
house, and to serve at your altar. To you and to your service
I devote myself, body, soul, and spirit. Fill my memory with
the record of your mighty works; enlighten my understanding
with the light of your Holy Spirit; and may all the desires of
my heart and will center in what you would have me do. Make
me an instrument of your salvation for the people entrusted
to my care, and grant that I may faithfully administer your
holy Sacraments, and by my life and teaching set forth your
true and living Word. Be always with me in carrying out the
duties of my ministry. In prayer, quicken my devotion; in
praises, heighten my love and gratitude; in preaching, give me
readiness of thought and expression; and grant that, by the
clearness and brightness of your holy Word, all the world may
be drawn into your blessed kingdom. All this I ask for the
sake of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

     from the Book of Common Prayer, page 562

Blessings,
Fr Paul

No comments: