Friday, April 11, 2014

A Sacred Space

A Sacred Space



When I walked into this place the first time, I was taken with the impression that I had never seen anything quite like this before. It is for me a breathtaking experience to walk into a church, a synagogue, a mosque, or in fact any sacred space where people stop to meditate and pray. 

But this one in a very special way has a unique "sacred" quality to it I find hard to quantify, describe or put my finger on. It may have to do with the interesting shape of the windows, the dark wood, the deep red carpet and the stained glass windows which you have to see in person to fully appreciate. 

As for all my ordained ministry, I count it such a privilege to serve in such a place among such a people as these. What I mean by that is that they have as much fun as I do being who we are. We Episcopalians are a curious lot and refuse to take ourselves too seriously, at least for the most part. We like the liturgy done well, but get a chuckle out of the gaffs we rather frequently make when trying to be "holy". And we are not afraid of dealing head on with justice issues of the emerging inclusive church we are becoming. Our love for one another is becoming increasing "catholic" i.e. "universal". Perhaps we were meant to be a "catholic" church all along. 

This is one particular sacred space, St. Paul's Church, North Andover, we are one specific holy Church, the Episcopal Church. I still believe in such a church.  Many of us still believe that finding time in a "way too busy" life to be still, makes all kinds of sense. We have an appetite for the holy, the sacred and believe we need to take the time to be at the center of the human heart on a regular basis. It is there, in the peace that passes understanding that, if we can be quiet enough, long enough, we will find the heart of God. 

Fr Paul

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm reading Greg Boyd's Present Perfect about how to be aware of God's presence everyday... realizing that there is holy everyday. When we are aware of God being with us, every space is sacred. It's very fulfilling and satisfying, but challenging to sustain.

"Fr. Paul" Bresnahan said...

Thanks Megan, I think we're on to something!