Monday, August 20, 2012

Proud Liberal!

Proud Liberal


The word "Liberal" is used by many as if it were a dirty word. A social slam. A matter of shame. I take the word to describe intelligence and social concern for my brother and sister human beings. The shame of it is that those who don't seem to care for those less fortunate than ourselves, are so politically popular now.

Not me, I'm a proud liberal

Every single social advance has been a struggle. In just my lifetime, our struggle has been for folks who have been at the margins of society.

We have marched for Racial Equality and Civil Rights.

We have fought for gender equality.

Now we are struggling for marriage equality for LGBTQ folk in the nation. 

The working people and the middle class of this country have taken a major hit because of the banking scandals that set up the crash of 2008 and now the even more devastating Barclays Bank/Libor debacle that threatens even the viability of nations like Greece, Spain and Italy. How long will we let these barbarians lay siege to our lives without a fight?

Is money really god?

What is wrong with struggles like this?

If this is what it means to be Liberal. 

Go ahead. Call me a Liberal!

Fr Paul


2 comments:

amesababe said...

I am a proud Liberal too!

The Blog Fodder said...

Me, too.