Saturday, April 23, 2022

"I Cannot Believe"

"I Cannot Believe"
Like Thomas, Elaine could not bring herself to believe. But it wasn’t just the resurrection of Jesus she could not believe, she couldn’t even bring herself to believe in God. 


Elaine was a bit of an introvert and sat in the last pew in the far corner of the church as far away from the pulpit and the altar as she could get. She came late and left early. It took the longest time to find out who she was. 


As it turned out she began coming to church after her mother died. Apparently she was trying to make sense of things. It took quite a while but one day, she worked up the courage to get into the receiving line and greet me. I thanked her for being there and invited her for coffee but she was clearly not ready for that. And so it continued week in and week out for what seemed to be a very long time.


One Sunday, as we greeted each other, she asked if we could make an appointment. We did that. We had quite the conversation. She told me of her mother’s death, and how much she appreciated our church services, the preaching and the liturgy. But then she confessed to me with a heavy heart full of anxiety and guilt that she simply could not believe in God. She simply did not see how she could build a case to support the idea of God when to her way of thinking there simply was no evidence for the existence of God. 


In getting to know Elaine I found out that there were secrets in her family of origin especially involving her father that left some deep scars. She could not tell me exactly what the nature of those traumatic moments were like but I had my suspicions. For Elaine, God was not there when most urgently needed and that’s when I began to understand the nature of her unbelief. 


One day she did confess that she wished she could believe the way I believe. She told me that one of the reasons she came to church as regularly as she did was that she liked hearing stories of faith. Oh how she wanted to believe!


I tried the one about the father of the boy Jesus healed; “I believe, help my unbelief”.

Elaine laughed, “Fr Paul, I can’t even get that far.” 


To which I finally said; “How about this? God and I both admire your honesty. What if I were to tell you that God believes in you irrespective of your ability to believe in God!” 


That one stopped Elaine in her tracks. She began to wonder. “What if God believes in me? Do you suppose that’s even possible?”


To which I smiled and said; “I wonder!”


This is what happened to Thomas on that Second Sunday of Easter. Thomas was Honest to God and to the Disciples about his doubt. “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”


It was Jesus who believed in Thomas. “A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”


“Thomas; Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.”


To which Thomas said; “My Lord and my God!”


The idea of belief whether it be in God or Heaven or the Resurrection rests not so much on what my puny human mind can fathom but rather on the power of Jesus to believe in me.


It was Jesus who called us one by one to follow because he believed in us. It was Jesus who broke bread with us in the upper room and got to know us one by one. He was the one who healed the sick, fed the hungry, reached out to the leper, the prostitute and the outcast. It sure wasn’t the likes of us. We couldn’t, we wouldn’t do any of that. We did not; we could not believe. Jesus was the one who did that!


It was Jesus who taught us that God shows no partiality to any one kind but that all are one in Jesus. When I think back I realize how true is that is. I think  of all the churches I have served in these almost 50 years and the people in them. What a crowd of characters. As Cindy likes to remind me, I’ve served more church since I “retired” than I served during my career.


Last week as I celebrated my 49th Easter Sunday as a Priest I found myself blessing the incense “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning is now and will be forever.” I found myself caught up in the notion of Jesus as “the Alpha and the Omega; the Beginning and the Ending who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty”, exactly as the Book of Revelation puts it today. 


Jesus showed us the way to the Father.

It is the way of Love. 


Heaven begins in our Baptism; “in the Paschal mystery established in the new covenant of reconciliation” as the Collect for the day puts it. The compelling fact of heaven is that we don’t have to wait until we die to know what it's like, we begin living heaven in the way we come alive now in the Living God.


This is how we learn to Believe! God. Heaven. Eternal Life. It is all a Way of Life we live now that we have become children of the New Covenant of Reconciliation. 


If I were to wait until I could understand God, I’d never believe. The same is true of any and all of the Great Mysteries of Heaven. I don’t even fully understand the forgiveness of sins but I’m duty bound to forgive as I am forgiven.


Doesn’t his prayer say as much; “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us?” That what a “trespass” is. It is a sin, an offense against God and our neighbor. 


Believing for Thomas and Elaine and me and you is not about anything we can figure out, comprehend, or understand. If we are honest to God and one another, we won’t really believe it until we see it with our own eyes.


Which is why Jesus appears to us in the Upper Room and says; “Peace be with you.” Notice in today’s Gospel. Jesus says that three times. God knows our unbelief. Which is why he manifestly appears to us time and again to say; “Peace be with you”. 


To which I reply as Thomas did; “My Lord and my God.”


I might add this prayer that You might whisper those words into the hearts of all Christians, Jews and Muslims the whole world round. “Peace be with you”.


Below are the readings for this Sunday with those words, phrases and thoughts highlighted that speak to my heart and soul


Second Sunday of Easter


The Collect:

Almighty and everlasting God, who in the Paschal mystery established the new covenant of reconciliation: Grant that all who have been reborn into the fellowship of Christ’s Body may show forth in their lives what they profess by their faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


First Lesson: Acts 5:27-32

When they had brought them, they had them stand before the council. The high priest questioned them, saying, “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and you are determined to bring this man’s blood on us.” But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than any human authority. The God of our ancestors raised up Jesus, whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior that he might give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him.”


Psalm 150

Hallelujah!
Praise God in his holy temple; *
      praise him in the firmament of his power.
Praise him for his mighty acts; *
      praise him for his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the blast of the ram’s-horn; *
      praise him with lyre and harp.
Praise him with timbrel and dance; *
      praise him with strings and pipe.
Praise him with resounding cymbals; *
      praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.
Let everything that has breath *
      praise the Lord.
      Hallelujah!


Epistle: Revelation 1:4-8

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Look! He is coming with the clouds; every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail. So it is to be. Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.


Gospel: John 20:19-31

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.



No comments: