Monday, June 08, 2020

The Voices we Hear

The following is a transcript of Trinity Sunday's episode of "Godspell"~June 7,2020








Trinity Sunday
“The Voices We Hear”

Live from Lynn, it’s “Godspell”.
Hello, this is Fr Paul Bresnahan, priest of the Episcopal Church.
Welcome back to “Godspell”: a time to spell it out.
Who is God, and how is God involved in our lives?
“Godspell” is a nice old English word for the Gospel or, what I call, the language of God, the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Silence

Blessed be God; The Most Holy, Undivided and Everlasting Trinity. 
And blessed be God’s Kingdom for ever and ever. Amen

A Collect For Trinity Sunday
Glory be to God,
Whose love created us,
Glory be to Jesus,
Who who gave his life for us,
and opened the gates of heaven for everyone.
Glory be to the Holy Spirit,
Who makes us holy,
And gives us gifts for ministry; wisdom and courage for the living of these days,
Glory be to the Holy Trinity,
One God now and forever. Amen.

Patrick’s Breastplate 



Gospel: Matthew 28:16-20
Now the…disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’


The Voices we Hear

The voice I hear most clearly is the voice of Jesus. The reason I hear that voice so clearly is that it is written down here in this book. In today’s Gospel Jesus tells us to go forth to all nations and Baptize them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of The Holy Spirit. That Name is the one we refer to as The Holy Trinity. We come today to that Blessed Feast Day in the Church Year.

Here are two historic symbols that represent the Holy Trinity.
The Triquetra represents the unbroken and eternal sign of unending threeness. 



The Rublev Icon shows three distinct persons in unbroken and eternal relationship such as we are called to live with God and each other. 



We hear the voice of Jesus with such transforming clarity that God changes us. We die to the sins of self and and come to life again in the the personhood of Jesus. 

Meanwhile sin is all around us. In fact, I have often said “Sin is the only doctrine of the Church we can prove. All others we have to take on faith.” There is ample evidence of sin before our very eyes. We see it in the violence of the Powers and Principalities who exercise Dominion over us with ruthless force. Just like The Roman Empire and all the Empires that have all come and gone throughout history.

Perhaps this nation could use a good dousing in the waters of Baptism.

Jesus leaves us with clear instructions; “obey everything that I have commanded you.” You may remember that on the night before he died for us he told us; “A new commandment I give you; Love one another.” 



Notice how pure and simple that is. Jesus knew the Law and the Prophets. As a practicing Jew he observed the Law and heeded its precepts. 
There are 613 specific instructions in the Torah to obey, to bring order into a civil society. Moses gave us the Ten Commandments to instruct us in our duty to God and our duty toward our neighbor. 

When Jesus was asked his reading of the Law, he said; “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” ~Mark 12:29-30

And then finally, when facing the last moments of his life Jesus boiled it all down to this; “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” ~John 13:34.

You can see how well we are doing. Four hundred years of slavery and racism in America has led to one especially excruciating moment that has ignited a firestorm of protest in America. That knee on a black man’s neck squeezing the very last breath our of his lungs. Or as another autopsy said, his heart stopped. Either way George Floyd was murdered. 

One week later, at the very symbol of white privilege St. John’s Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square, The Church of the Presidents, where all the Presidents have worshipped from George Washington to Barak Obama there was the scene of a very strange irony. The Clergy of our church were handing out bottles of water and granola bars to protesters, listening peacefully to their stories, when they and the crowd were forcibly pushed back by rubber bullets, tear gas and flash bangs. 

“Make way for the President!” 

He wielded the Bible as someone might a weapon to make clear he was the “Law and Order President” ready to Dominate using the Armed Forces of these United States of America.

Opinion: This sadness has a long history. Let's work for change

Mr President. Allow me to introduce you to this Sacred Text. And listen to Jesus who commands you to obey. 
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. ~Matthew 5:1-12
Did you hear The Voice of Jesus?

On Thursday evening, June 4, the Anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, our Bishop Marianne Budde met with the protesters. She was met with understandably with anger and frustration, but then she sat patiently with the protesters. There was conversation, understanding and mutual support. Then the Bishop and her clergy were forcibly removed from in front of her Church.

White House Security Blocks Washington's Episcopalian Bishop from Holding a  Vigil at Her Church – Mother Jones

Oh there are strange voices we hear in our land these days. 

The President said “This is a great day for George Floyd. It’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality.’’

What! This is not the voice I hear from the streets of America. Rather, I hear George Floyd cry out to breathe. I hear George cry out for his mama and his children. I hear America cry out to breathe free. 

I heard the voice of my wife say; “How can this be a great day for George Floyd and his family? The man was murdered.!”

I hear George voice cry out for the young people all across America. There is no equality Mr. President. There is no equality in employment, housing, education and opportunity. Black folks are still the last hired and the first fired, Mr President.

They are still the most likely to face harassment from the police, most likely to face violence at the hands of the police. Most likely to be killed in the streets by the police.

What kind of equality is that?

Oh and while we are at it, let me add this from my own voice. I am a white man 75 years old. I saw a brother white man the same age, in Buffalo, New York,. He faced a phalanx of police advance like a Roman Imperial Garrison. When he stood in the way, he was shoved to the pavement. His head cracked open on the concrete and he began to bleed. Several police officers out of their humanity stopped to minister to him. But then they were ordered, forward march! This is my blood too. You left me there to bleed.

Buffalo Police Seriously Injure 75-Year-Old Man During Protest – Reason.com

Oh no Mr President. This is not the voice of George Floyd I hear. His voice cries out from the same concrete pavement that the blood of all our brothers and sisters have died in, where our breath has been squeezed out of our lungs. These are the voices I hear. I can’t breathe!

Allow me to remind you of the symbols we hold dear for the Trinity. Notice the Triquetra. It is an unbroken symbol of the Threeness of God. Unbroken and unified, eternal and One. When I love God I must also love God’s people. All people. Why do you always seek to divide us? 

We are one people. 

Question; when you call on Colin Kapernik to respect the flag why do you not respect the Republic for which that flag stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all?

I Pledge Allegiance By Rollo Dilworth From Music Express Magazine. - ppt  download

That’s all we seek when we say “Black lives matter.” After all, if we are going to say “All lives matter”, we need to begin making sure “All Black Lives Matter” first. After all, 400 years of slavery, oppression, racism and domination call on us to make good on our pledge to the Republic for which that flag stands high and true.

Do not divide us!

Which brings me to the the final Voice of Judgement from Jesus. Remember this Book which you brandished before us! Listen his voice. This is especially for your ears. If there is to be a division it will be in accordance to Christ’s Command. 

The Final Judgment
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these..., you did it to me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Dasily Gospel Reasding – Matthew 25:31-46 | Daily Bible Readings

Mr. President we saw you brandish the Bible as a weapon of Domination. I do not expect you to read it. But I must read it every day of my life.. All of it. It takes about a year to read it. In it I hear the voice of God. I hear the voice of Jesus and I hear the Voice of the Holy Spirit. This Sacred, Holy Trinity is the Name we Celts bind unto our hearts.

The Voice we hear is the Voice of God. Excuse me if I listen not to your voice but to the Voice of God.

In the Name of God; the Most Holy, Undivided and Everlasting Trinity.
Amen.

Prayers for the Church and the World.
Lord’s Prayer

A Blessing
See that ye be at peace among yourselves, 
and love one another.
Follow the example of the wise and good
and God will comfort you and help you,
both in this world
and in the world which is to come.

May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you,
wherever He may send you.
May He guide you through the wilderness,
protect you through the storm.
May He bring you home rejoicing
at the wonders He has shown you.
May He bring you home rejoicing
once again into our doors.

And may the Blessing of God the Most holy undivided and everlasting Trinity be upon you this day and always. Amen.

God  Bless us everyone!

Fr Paul








No comments: